Missing Stories logo

Podgorica

PI Museums and Galleries of Podgorica
4 Marka Miljanova St.

POSTPONED
(DATE TBA)

PI Museums and Galleries of Podgorica

PI Museums and Galleries of Podgorica is located in the building of the former Graphics Institute (printing company), constructed after World War II. The sectoral departments of the museum contain archaeological, cultural-historical, ethnographic and historical collections. Additionally, a component of the institution is reserved for the Modern Gallery and the Risto Stijović Gallery.

The permanent exhibition of the Museum illustrates the history of Podgorica from the Middle Palaeolithic to the end of the first half of the 20th The collection includes items from the archaeological sites of Boljevića Gruda dating from the Bronze Age (1800 – 1200 BC), as well as Gostilj and Momišići dating from the Hellenistic period (3rd – 2nd century BC) and the Roman settlement of Doclea (1st – 4th century BC). The exhibition features books printed in the 16th century in Venice, in Božidar Vuković’s printing company, manuscripts and icons from the 16th to the 19th century, as well as national gowns and clothing, and jewellery that testify to the rich local art.

The Modern Gallery, founded in 1961, is a segment of PI Museums and Galleries of Podgorica. The primary set of activities of this department revolves around the museum-gallery line of work. It comprises 656 items categorized in collections of paintings, drawings, graphics, sculptures and new media pieces that date back from the 20th century to the present day – the works of notable local authors as well as artists from the area of the former Yugoslav cultural region.

The Risto Stijović Gallery, named after Risto Stijović (1894 – 1974), the greatest name in Montenegrin sculpture and the founder of modern art in Montenegro, was opened in 1970. In 1974, it was integrated into PI Museums and Galleries of Podgorica. It mainly focuses on collecting, studying, processing, protecting and presenting the works of this renowned sculptor. He donated 64 pieces of artwork to his hometown, including sculptures, drawings and sketches. His legacy also comprises valuable books and several personal items (medals, plaques).

The Museum of Marko Miljanov was founded on 23rd October 1971 with the opening of a permanent museum exhibition. The exhibition comprises three components: a historical, literary-historical, and ethnographic exhibition.

The historical component features the most significant moments in the life of Marko Miljanov as a warrior and statesman.

The literary-historical component features Marko Miljanov as a writer.

The ethnographic component presents some of the household items, clothing items, jewellery, weapons, and everyday household objects that were commonly used by the people in this region.

Medun is located circa 12 km north-east from Podgorica, in the Kuči region. This village is known for the monumental complex that comprises the remains of the Illyrian settlement Meteon, the church of St. Nicholas, and the birth house of Marko Miljanov.

The department for protection of cultural property deals with the implementation of conservation activities on monuments and cultural property within the area of the Capital City of Podgorica.

Contact

PI Museums and Galleries of Podgorica
pgmuzeji.me
Marka Miljanova 4
81000 Podgorica
Montenegro
Curator: Natalija Vujošević

Working hours
Tuesday to Sunday: 9 am–8 pm
Closed on Mondays

All Exhibitions